Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how frequently your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Smyth Air Conditioning Inc in Lake Worth about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the timeline between expert cleanings.
Above all, arrange annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Smyth Air Conditioning Inc. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Smyth Air Conditioning Inc about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters regularly and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not demand exchanging.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that permit dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Lake Worth home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Smyth Air Conditioning Inc a call at 561-533-6066 .